Monday 23 July 2012

Seattle, Part Two


 On our second day in Seattle, I wanted to do something "touristy", so Trae and I made it a point to get up extra early and head down to the Space Needle! It was a long elevator ride up (all 520 feet of it), and of course the elevator had a glass door so I was a bit freaked out haha, it must have been the slight fear of heights. But once we were at the top, I was all good. It had such a gorgeous view! We could see the morning fog for miles!


Seattle has so many museums, and one of my faves was the EMP Museum which specializes in music (among other things, but I don't want to make this post too photo-heavy). There was a Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, and ACDC exhibit as well as an entire section dedicated to instruments that people can play. Trae played his weapon of choice (the guitar of course) while I opted for the bongos (of course I had no idea what I was doing). It was fun! I also got to learn so much about Nirvana & Hendrix, and it felt surreal being in the same city where they originated from!

And not just them, but tons of bands originated in Seattle as is shown above in the Seattle Band Map photo. The underground punk music scene was insane! That last picture of Trae and I was taken within the Nirvana exhibit during a recording about our experience (or thoughts of) the band. Anyone can do it, and they show your video on a screen in the adjoining room. There were a lot of cool videos that other fans recorded in the past!


Not only did we learn about Nirvana, but we also got to visit the actual house where Kurt Cobain lived and died. Kurt was cremated when he passed away, so there's no grave sight for him, but the people of Seattle took it upon themselves to turn a simple bench (right next to his house) into an unofficial memorial for the late singer.

Every inch of the bench was covered in Nirvana lyrics & words to Kurt as well as letters, guitar picks, photos, and miscellaneous Nirvana memorabilia. The new owners of the house have boarded up their property on all sides, but you can still see the top of the house. Why anyone would want to buy that house is beyond me. I mean, just being there on the outside gave me a sad and eerie feeling...



Don't worry, I only have a couple more Seattle posts in the works where I share the local art, food, and outfits I wore during my stay! Have a good week! :)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.