Saturday 11 January 2014

2014 Goals



I'm horrible at coming up with a new years resolution (which is probably why this post is coming to you mid-January). I used to try and think of one every year and then by February I would completely forget about it! So this year instead of trying to commit to one resolution, I thought I would list some goals I hope to accomplish in 2014. I read somewhere that writing things down makes you more likely to stick to what you said you would do, so I'm going to give it a try!

1. Post more consistently. I know I joked about this in a previous post, but I really would like to make it happen. In 2013, I lost my motivation for blogging which led me to go on a hiatus for about 4 months during the summer. I had just graduated college and was taking the time to enjoy my last carefree summer with friends while also dating someone new, so the blog was just put on the back burner. This year, I don't want there to be any unnecessarily long breaks where I forget to blog completely. Right now I try to post every 3 to 4 days, but I eventually want to get to a point where I blog 4 times a week. We shall see!

2. Find a job you actually enjoy. This one probably takes priority over the others because it's so important to me to find something I love to do and make a career out of it. Why bother spending your life doing something you hate? I know I'm not alone in this goal since so many of my friends who graduated with me last year are still looking for a job where they feel like they belong as well. It's tough, but I'm going to try my absolute hardest to make it happen this year.

3. Make healthy choices. This isn't to say I'm going on a diet or I'm gonna start going to the gym (those are usually just empty promises that last less than a month for me). I'm keeping it simple with this one. Like opting for water instead of soda or resisting to eat right before bedtime. Maybe even go out on a walk every now again. These are little things that don't require a huge sacrifice, and hopefully I can turn them into everyday habits!

4. Read more. I love to read, but last year I think I only read one book (the 4th book to the Game of Thrones series, A Feast for Crows) which bums me out. I'm not in school anymore, so I can't use the time I had to commit to "assigned reading" as an excuse. Right now I'm reading the 5th book to the GoT series, A Dance with Dragons, and it is HUGE. But if I can get through it, I want to read other books I've heard were good like Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars, The Hobbit, and lots more! What are y'all reading this year (suggestions are welcome!)?

5. Ease off social media. When I wake up, I can spend up to 30 minutes or more on my phone just going back and forth between my social media apps before I even get out of bed. I check them before I go to sleep, at work, while eating, and even while watching tv or in between reading a book. I've always enjoyed social media, but it was during the latter half of 2013 where I noticed I was starting to rely on it a little too much. It's ridiculous, and my boyfriend has called me out on it numerous times. This year I'm going to try and put the phone down and learn to live in the moment more often!

6. Make more time for friends. Spending time with friends was so effortless back in college! We all lived semi-close to each other, and I got to to see them pretty much everyday whether it be in class or for a quick lunch break. Now that we're all exploring different parts of our lives, it's hard to find time to hang out. I partly blame myself though because when I actually do find some down time, I'm too lazy to want to drive across town to see them (I know, shame on me). To any of my friends reading right now, you better hold me to this!

7. Travel to a new place. Last year, I got to visit Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine - three states I had never been to before! I even got to spend a night in Nashville, Tennessee (another place I had never been) and see the Grand Ole Opry! I feel like these opportunities to travel made my year so much more perfect, and I adore the sense of adventure and wonder I get from exploring a whole new place. As of now I have no plans to travel anytime soon, but hopefully something unexpected will come about during the year!

Do you have any goals this year? Or are you going all out with one big resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.